New York City will be one of the dream destinations for almost every wanderlust. There are many skyscrapers and wondrous architectures in this densely populated city, which every person must see at least once in a lifetime. An interesting thing about NYC is that it holds the prime position in the professional sports championships among the United States cities; for five major leagues, New York City has 54 overall championships.
There are many such interesting and enlightening facts about the city that every traveler must know before setting on your private New York City tours. Some of those important specifics that most people are unaware of are given below.
- New York City is one of the most populated cities in the United States; more than 8 million people reside in the city. This indicates that the city is home to 1 in every 38 people in the United States.
- The city is considered one of the most linguistically diverse cities in the world; people living in this city speak more than 800 languages. Moreover, at least 4 in every 10 households in the city communicate in a language other than English.
- People usually use Manhattan as the synonym for New York City. However, Manhattan is only one of the major boroughs that the city is made up of. It is to be noted that New York City is made of five boroughs that include the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Staten Island.
- As a result of the distinct positions and locations of the islands here, various parts of the city can only be accessed by tunnels and bridges. You will have to pay $3 to $7 for using these connectors as well.
- One of the funniest facts about the New York City is that Brooklyn is located in the King’s county and Queens is located in the Queen’s county. Hence, the Kings and Queens live side by side in the city.
- Most people have a misconception that Manhattan is the most populated area in the New York City. Yet the fact is that Brooklyn is more populated than Manhattan; the estimated population of Brooklyn is 2.6 million, whereas the population of Manhattan is only around 1.6 million.
- The Statue of Liberty situated in the New York City was actually a gift from the French people to the United States as a symbol of their friendship. The famous sculpture was designed by the ace architect Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and was constructed by Gustave Eiffel.